There were changes to the Health & Safety First Aid At Work Regulations in 2009. Provided here is a guide to help assess and determine what training and how many First Aiders you will need, and where they should be located.
A FIRST AID NEEDS ASSESSMENT SHOULD CONSIDER :-
- The nature of the work, the hazards and risks
- The nature of the work force
- The organisation’s history of accidents and illness
- The needs of travelling, remote and lone workers
- Work patterns such as shiftwork
- The distribution of the work force
- The remoteness of the site from emergency medical services Employees working on shared or multi-occupied sites Annual leave and other absences of First Aiders
- First Aid provision for non-employees
- The size of the organisation
First Aid needs should be reviewed from time to time, particularly if you have operational changes in your work place. Records should be kept of incidents dealt with by your First Aiders to assist in this process.